After my recent post '6 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging' I decided it would make sense to have a '6 Things I've Learnt While Blogging' post. I've been blogging on and off for about five years now, I didn't really take it very seriously for the first three years and the past two years I've started to enjoy blogging more and more as the days pass by.
1. Past content can be embarrassing: When you've been around for a while you can often be embarrassed at how poor your content was when you first started. Admittedly this could be just me because I didn't start my blog for it to be a blog I started it as an online diary to vent my feelings so when I look back at past posts I often cringe and want to rewrite it.
2. Bloggers are influential: I think in the last 12 - 18 months bloggers have finally started to get taken seriously, brands understand bloggers worth and as such have started to respect us a little more. Sometimes brands and companies like to be cheeky and offer silly amounts for reviews but as you'll see in number 3, you're a business, don't just take money for the sake of it, you have bills to pay and you need to know your worth.
3. Blogging is a business: You need to see yourself as a business owner, what you write is your business and your blog is your brand. If you're getting paid in gifts, vouchers or cash it needs to be declared to HMRC, you're running a business here and if you don't declare yourself as self-employed you can land yourself in big ****! As I also said before, you need to know your worth and accept decent prices for your content, gifts and vouchers don't pay the bills and put food on the table.
4. You need a niche: I'm not saying you have to stick to a niche but it's best to have something solid throughout your blogs, it's great to have readers guessing what you'll post about next but if you have one main niche you'll get more loyal readers. I blog about everything from travel and beauty to fashion and lifestyle but I'd say the main theme throughout my blog is beauty.
5. Social media is your best friend: You really can't live without it, I'd say 70% of my views come from social media and that is mainly Facebook and Twitter. I couldn't live without it. Sharing every post you write will help you gain new readers, I find having an automated tweet go out everytime I blog is a real help and using different hashtags on Twitter really does help. I always use #bbloggers, #fbloggers, #psbloggers, #lbloggers & #tbloggers. (Beauty, Fashion, Plus-Size, Lifestyle & Travel). These hashtags are used by so many bloggers to connect and meet new people.
6. You make friends for life: I've met so many amazing ladies while blogging and it makes me come out of my comfort zone and speak with new girls daily, via Twitter and Facebook. I often get starstruck at events when I see bloggers that I have bookmarked and been reading their blogs for a while.
Have you learnt anything while blogging that you'd like to share?