Blogging comes with its ups and downs and with millions of blogs out there and 100s more created daily I wanted to give some advice on 6 things I wish I knew before I started blogging and maybe it can persuade someone to start blogging or help someone so they think twice before jumping in at the deep end.
1. Content is key: It doesn't matter if you blog once a week or 7 times a week if your content isn't relevant no one will read it. I blog for myself and don't really care what is on trend, I always say write what you like and like what you write but sometimes you need to write about what's on trend to bring some new readers in. Once they've seen a trend post they'll often stay to see more.
2. You need to be passionate: If you're not passionate about what you write you won't want to write. It's easier said than done, I've often lost passion with my blog and it sometimes feels like a university assignment thinking of something to write about but when you sit back, relax and think of something you love the words just flow from your fingers.
3. You need to be mobile friendly: Most of my readers use their mobile, as such it is important to be mobile friendly. Have you ever tried to do online shopping or read something on your phone and the website isn't mobile friendly? It's annoying right? Well it's the same for reading blogs.
4. You won't be famous overnight: If you're thinking that all bloggers grow to success overnight and it's easy to get millions of followers you're sadly wrong. It just doesn't happen like that, of course for some they gain followers easier but it's all about content, social media sharing and networking, all of which take time. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day, it will take time and you'll see the followers and readers grow.
5. Blogging costs money: This is sort of attached to number 4. Many believe as soon as you start blogging you'll be rakin' in the cash and 100s of companies will want you to be the face of their brand, well guess what... Blogging really isn't like that. You need to spend money to make money. Depending on where you blog (i.e Blogger/Wordpress) you need to pay for - your domain name/web hosting, theme (optional), image storage and advertising (optional).
6. There are so many rules: There are so many written and unwritten rules surrounding blogging. From follow and no-follow links to ASA and copyright regulations. Did you know that it is against Google's rules to use a follow link to a company that have paid you or gifted you an item? I didn't know that at first. I've had so many companies ask me to change links as Google have told them off for essentially paying for advertising and not declaring the fact they paid for the advertising.
Is there anything you wish you knew before you started blogging?